What is CBHRI?
The primary focus of CBHRI is on diseases prevalent in Curaçao, the Caribbean region and Latin America. Diseases that pose a risk to the region are also targeted, the so-called emerging and re-emerging diseases.
CBHRI focuses on four main areas of research, represented by the respective departments:
- Epidemiology & Social sciences
The department Capital management is responsible for grant acquisition and project management.
What is the Vision
What is the Mission
- To provide high quality, multidisciplinary research capacity and infrastructure dedicated to human health research in Curaçao and the region.
- To address unexplained or ill-understood health risks and diseases with relevance to Caribbean and Latin American public health.
- To develop adequate and timely prevention and response measures to emerging health threats.
- To educate biomedical and public health professionals in the field of infectious diseases and cancer.
- To promote and conduct research to broaden epidemiological and biomedical knowledge.
- To serve the biomedical and health care communities by participating in relevant professional societies, editorial boards, and continuing education programs.
These responsibilities involve the active collaboration of the institute with other laboratories, hospitals, universities and research organizations. CBHRI will perform its mission by collaborating with international partners, participating in grants, exchanging students, and making preparedness plans (e.g., for emerging infections).
• Attract, develop and retain the best research professionals to conduct laboratory-based research
• Commission research focused on improving health and social care
• Strengthen and streamline systems for research management and governance
• Increase the opportunities for patients and the public to participate in, and benefit from, research
• Promote and protect the interests of patients and the public in health research
• Drive faster translation of scientific discoveries into tangible benefits for patients
All the institute members have a track record of academic excellence from leading US and European Research and Clinical Centers. Their different expertise in science and public health complement each other beautifully and result in a powerful scientific team.