What is CBHRI?
The primary focus of CBHRI is on diseases prevalent in Curaçao, the Caribbean region and Latin America. Diseases that pose a risk to the region are also targeted, the so-called emerging and re-emerging diseases.
CBHRI focuses on five main areas of research, represented by the respective departments:
- Social sciences
The department Capital management is responsible for grant acquisition and project management.
What is the vision?
What is the mission?
– To provide high quality, multidisciplinary research capacity and infrastructure dedicated to human health research in Curaçao and the region.
– To address unexplained or ill-understood health risks and diseases with relevance to Caribbean and Latin American public health.
– To develop adequate and timely prevention and response measures to emerging health threats.
– To promote and conduct research to broaden epidemiological and biomedical knowledge.
– To serve the biomedical and health care communities by participating in relevant professional societies, editorial boards, and continuing education programs.
These responsibilities involve the active collaboration of the institute with other laboratories, hospitals, universities and research organizations. CBHRI will perform its mission by collaborating with international partners, participating in grants, exchanging students, and making preparedness plans (e.g., for emerging infections).
The key is cross-funtional teamwork
Translating Biology into Medicine
Structure of the CBHRI
The CBHRI manages its health research activities through four main work strands:
• Infrastructure: providing the facilities and people for a thriving research environment
• Faculty: supporting the individuals carrying out and participating in research
• Research: commissioning and funding research
• Systems: creating unified, streamlined and simple systems for managing research and its outputs.
• CBHRI takes a unique approach to research. At the earliest stages, research priorities are determined by patient need and disease understanding.
• At CBHRI, physician-scientists work together to determine research priorities for Curacao. Research focusing on diseases of the Caribbean and Latin American importance are determined in close collaboration with collaborating partners.
• We believe we can contribute significantly to health by keeping our sights on both the science and the patient.